Point Break is the 214th episode of Screen Junkies comedy series Honest Trailers. It was written by Spencer Gilbert, Joe Starr, Dan Murrell and Andy Signore. It was narrated by Jon Bailey as Epic Voice Guy. It parodies the 1991 American action-crime thriller Point Break. It was published on August 1, 2017, to coincide with the theatrical release of director Kathryn Bigelow's film Detroit. It is 4 minutes 36 seconds long. It has been viewed over 2.6 million times.
"The best movie about bank-robbing surfers ever made, and also the only movie about bank-robbing surfers ever made." ~ Honest Trailers - Point Break
Please add script here! This wiki needs your help!
- The writers wanted to make this Honest Trailer because they thought many people didn't realize that Academy-award-winning director Kathryn Bigelow had directed this cheesy action film.
- The writers agreed the action is very well directed in this film.
- Screen Junkies have also produced several Honest Trailers for many 1990s movies including Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Hook, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Bros., Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie, Space Jam, Batman Forever, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze, Fight Club, The Matrix, The Lion King, Toy Story, Forrest Gump, Jurassic Park and others. See list of Honest Trailers for more.
Honest Trailers - Point Break has a 98.3% approval rating from YouTube viewers. Screen Rant described the Honest Trailer takes a "witty and incisive direction in mocking/praising the quintessential '90s movie," and wrote that Screen Junkies "reminds how Point Break was absolutely a film that caught the zeitgeist at the time." Screen Rant appreciated that Screen Junkies "gives praise where it's due and highlights Bigelow's accomplished filming of the heist sequences and action set pieces." Slash Film said the Honest Trailer was "fun" and said they were glad "someone finally pointed out how unnecessarily hazy the interiors of almost every scene in Point Break are." Distracify praised Screen Junkies' take for highlighting "all the things you remember and love from the past, presented to you in the harsh light of today." Slate's review was more lukewarm, noting that the Honest Trailer "doesn’t really make any jokes that haven’t been made about Point Break." However, Slate did concede that while Screen Junkies does "pick on low-hanging fruit," it's exceedingly difficult to find a "fresh way to skewer an almost three decades-old movie about bank heists and surfboarding."
Voiceover Narration by Jon Bailey
Title design by Robert Holtby
Series Created by Andy Signore & Brett Weiner
Executive Producer - Andy Signore
Producers - Dan Murrell, Spencer Gilbert, Joe Starr, Michael Bolton, Christina Kline
Edited by Kevin Williamsen and TJ Nordaker
- ‘Point Break’ Honest Trailer: The Only Movie About Bank Robbing Surfers Ever Made - Slash Film article
- Point Break Honest Trailer: Keanu Is a Surfer Brah - Screen Rant article
- Take A Walk Down Memory Lane With This 'Point Break' Honest Trailer - Distractify article
- The Honest Trailer for Point Break Is Here, Brah - Slate article